Students who major in NJIT’s History B.A. will engage in comprehensive academic study and conduct their own dynamic scholarly research that seeks to recount diverse perspectives and provide fuller understanding of complex issues we face today. Students will enjoy a personalized and interdisciplinary approach to learning, which will combine in-depth historical study and research with varied aspects of disciplines such as science, engineering, and medicine.
We expect that, as a student and/or graduate of the History B.A. program, you will exhibit and/or engage in the following:
- Academic Excellence: Students will excel in their history coursework and will have his or her program approved by the head of the history department at NJIT or by an advisor designated by the head of the department.
- Student Collaboration: Students will partner with NJIT’s distinguished history scholars, teachers, and students committed to historical inquiry at the highest levels.
- Career Development: Students will plan for an advanced degree or exciting careers such as an educator, researcher, communicator or writer/editor, a public advocate or an entrepreneur.
In the program, History B.A students at NJIT will engage in strong academic work and dynamic research collaborations with distinguished faculty and fellow students. Through their work, History B.A. students will be able to apply useful skills in careers that require strong background in reading and writing. They will also develop a sharp analytical eye, as well as the ability to comprehend and communicate diverse perspectives, complex problems and solutions. We aim for students of the program to meet the following specific learning outcomes:
- Students can communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Students examine information and data in historical sources and draw logical conclusions from them.
- Students will have problem-solving skills required to learn how a past idea, event, or person has affected the present.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in seeking and using information efficiently, effectively, and ethically.
- Students observe and practice applications of concepts learned in a real-world setting.
- Students develop independent research skills to examine and process information from a large number of historical documents, texts, and other sources.
- Accelerated B.A. in History/D.P.T.
- Accelerated B.A. in History/J.D. (Law)
- Accelerated B.A. in History/M.D., D.M.D., D.D.S., or O.D. (Medicine, Dentistry or Optometry)