Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering
Ph.D. students in NJIT’s Biomedical Engineering program are expected to originate and advance research in their area of study, while also preparing to become leaders in academia, industry or the government. The Ph.D. candidate enters as a student, progresses as an apprentice scholar and graduates as a colleague of his or her mentor.
Doctoral students in NJIT’s Biomedical Engineering program are preparing for diverse fields and will work with renowned experts in these specialty areas:
- Biomaterials and Biocompatibility;
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine;
- Cellular and Orthopedic Biomechanics;
- Biomedical Signal Processing;
- Imaging and Instrumentation;
- Neural and Neuromuscular Engineering
However, we expect all of our Ph.D. students to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Develop independence in research problem-solving skills at an advanced level
- Acquire the depth of knowledge in your area of concentration to achieve a doctoral level of expertise
- Learn new methods of investigation
- Develop new skills appropriate for the student’s area of specialization
- Cooperate with laboratory staff and students and contribute to the scholarship in the lab
- Acquire sufficient breadth of knowledge to encourage new skills and problem- solving approaches that allow continuous learning and development
- Develop an understanding of the diversity of research methods employed by successful investigators by completing two laboratory rotations, one in an engineering laboratory and the second in a life science laboratory
- Attend at least one scientific conference as the primary presenter of a paper.
- Understand the conduct and support of research and development
- Develop ethical reasoning skills
- Improve communication skills for teaching and research dissemination
View the CurriculumCourse listing and prerequisites
Professor Namas Chandra
Alvarez, Tara L.
Professor and Director Undergraduate Program
Arinzeh, Treena L.
Hunter, William C.
Pfister, Bryan J.
Professor and Department Chair
Lee, Eun Jung
Kumar, Vivek A.