HONOREES FOR 2011 ALUMNI ACHIEVEMENT AWARD CELEBRATION
Presentations on Saturday, May 21, 2011
• Gurinder S. Ahluwalia ‘90 MSEE President and CEO, Genworth Financial Wealth Management, Inc.
For his recognized leadership in the manufacturing, insurance and wealth management businesses as well as his leadership and participation in community outreach efforts.
• Stanley M. Barauskas ‘61 BSME Propulsion and Power Systems Engineer assigned to the Space Shuttle Orbiter Program, The Boeing Company
For his recognized achievements in the area of space sciences and the manned space program; two time recipient of NASA’s Astronaut Achievement Award and recipient of the Manned Flight Awareness Honoree Award.
• Martin F. Hammer ‘80 BS Arch Project Architect, Builders Without Borders
For his extensive experience with straw bale construction and other sustainable building practices as well as his international work with post-disaster reconstruction in Pakistan and Haiti.
• George F. Nechwort ‘41 BSCE Consulting Engineer
For his world renowned work in the field of construction and re-construction of multi-span and multi-lane bridges and water supply systems throughout the United States, and especially in the Dominican Republic, West Africa and on the Panama Canal.
• Marjorie A. Perry ’05 MBA President and CEO, MZM Construction and Management
For her recognized and innovative leadership as a business owner in a field that is non-traditional for women and minorities, as well as for her service to the NJIT community and the greater Newark area.
• Robert E. Sommerlad ’60 BSME, ‘63 MSME Principal, Robert E. Sommerlad, PE
For his internationally recognized expertise in the Energy/Environmental arena in the fields of air pollution control and waste management as well as his service to the NJIT community, especially for fostering the relationship between the EPA and NJIT’s Hazardous Waste Research Center.
Meritorious Service Award for 2011
• Raymond A. Cassetta ‘70 BSIE
Current Vice Chair of the School of Management’s Board of Visitors and a member of the board for over 15 years, generous scholarship donor, member of both Trustee Advancement and Curriculum Committees, and former Student Government president.
Robert W. Van Houten Award for Teaching Excellence for 2011
• Methi Wecharatana, Ph.D. Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering in NJIT’s Newark College of Engineering