The Center for Academic and Personal Enrichment provides the following academic support services: individual and group tutorial services in Kupfrian Hall - Room 200 and the residence halls; academic support workshops; academic counsel for students on probation; and testing accommodations for students with documented disabilities.
Individual and Group Tutorial Services
- Tutoring for students struggling in their courses
- Assistance for students who seek to strengthen their academic skills and enhance critical thinking and problem solving skills to help improve their course grades.
- Study group sessions enable facilitators to focus on specific subjects while monitoring student progress throughout the semester.
- Peer tutors and study group facilitators address specific topics which traditionally give students problems.
- Tutors are trained to provide students with systematic methods of analyzing and solving problems to enhance student comprehension.
- Tutoring is a supplement to classroom instruction. CAPE’s services do not replace classroom attendance. Students should attend all classroom lectures.
Academic support workshops
The following important topics are offered in small group workshops by the CAPE staff:
- Time Management - Make time your best asset
- Preparing for Exams - Make the most of your study time
- Avoiding Procrastination - Don't wait until the last minute
- Learning Styles and Academic Success - Learn how to process and retain information
- Preparing for the Math, Physics and Chemistry Common Exams
CAPE staff members regularly meet with students on probation to provide encouragement, discuss learning strategies, review study skills, and focus on time management issues to assist students in their quest for success.
CAPE provides testing accommodations for students with documented disabilities. If students are eligible for services, they must be registered with the Office of Disability Services located in the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services locate in Campbell Hall 205. Further information is available at 973-596-3414 or by visiting their website at http://www.njit.edu/counseling/.