What is the College Bound?
College Bound is a pre-college program that serves students in the Newark school district. Students get the immediate advantage of exposure to a college or university environment while receiving tutorial, mentoring, academic and culturally enriching services.
Participants receive early awareness of subject matter that better prepares them for college experience.
Services We Offer
- Academic Year Program - comprehensive academic sessions for twenty (20) weeks after school and Saturdays.
- Summer Program - intensive academic instruction for six (6) weeks.
- Program Focus - math and science skill development; written and oral communication; counseling, leadership development, achievement and career exploration.
- Mentoring Program - students are exposed to minority role models through mentoring and special lecture programs.
- Student Development - enhancement through leadership, cultural and career experiences, mediation training and academic competition.
- Parent Support Group - an organization of parents who attend workshops and seminars designed to address their concerns, topics include: parenting, teen sexuality, computer literacy, achievement motivation and methods for assisting their child in developing good study habits.
How Do I Qualify?
A student must:
- Be a resident of Newark
- Attend grades 6 through 12 in the Newark Public School District
- Be first generation and/or of a low income household
- Be motivated and have the potential to succeed
- Complete the Program Application
- Provide copy of latest Report Card
Once all documents are received, Site Directors will contact you for an interview with you and your parent/guardian.
It is absolutely free. Students are provided with books, instructional supplies, field trips, meal and public transportation tickets at no cost.