1. The term "university" means New Jersey Institute of Technology.
2. The term "student" means any individual enrolled in one or more courses at the university, whether graduate, undergraduate, full-time, part-time, matriculated, non-matriculated, day, evening or maintaining registration. Those students living in university residences who attend other post-secondary institutions are included within this definition.
3. The term "faculty" means any person having faculty, instructing staff, or special lecturer status.
4. The term "Dean of Students" means those officials or individuals designated by the Dean of Students to fulfill any of the responsibilities under this document.
5. The term "investigator" means the official or individual designated by the Dean who is responsible to research, investigate, and present alleged violations of the Professional Conduct Code before the hearing panel.
6. The term "university official" means any person authorized by the university to act in a representative capacity within the scope of their professional or administrative responsibilities.
7. The term "member of the university community" means any student, faculty member, university official, guest, licensee, or staff member at the university.
8. The term "university premises" means any building, land (including adjacent streets and sidewalks) or facility, fixtures or equipment owned, leased, operated, controlled or supervised by the university.
9. The term "organization" means a Student Senate/Graduate Student Association/university recognized group of any number of students.
10. The term "group" means any group of students, which although not officially chartered by the university, has been granted certain privileges or accommodations by the university.
11. The term "judicial body" means any person or recognized group of persons authorized by the university to determine whether a student has violated the Professional Conduct Code or Academic Honor Code and recommend and/or determine appropriate sanction(s).
12. The term "business day" means any day, except Saturday and Sunday, when the university administrative offices are open.
13. The term "university sponsored activity" means any activity, on or off campus, which the university officially recognizes, participates in, or supervises.
14. The term "shall" is used in the imperative sense.
15. The term "may" is used in the permissive sense.
16. The term "respondent" means any student or organization accused of a violation of university policy.
17. The term "complainant" means any individual who has brought forth a complaint resulting in a charge of violation(s) of university policy.
18. The term "policy" means any regulation of the university found or referenced in, but not limited to, the Professional Conduct Code, the Academic Honor Code, the Student Handbook, the Residence Life Guide or the Undergraduate/Graduate Catalogs.