On-Campus Employment

On Campus Employment

All J-1 degree seeking or exchange students are allowed under U.S. federal law to work in on-campus positions while enrolled at NJIT. “On-campus employment” refers to NJIT campus employment only, unless authorized under special conditions for employment with other institutions. J-1 students in a prescribed course of study program are not authorized for on-campus employment.

J-1 students must be authorized in SEVIS for on campus employment before the employment begins. Authorization can be granted for up to 12 months at a time or the end of your DS-2019, whichever comes first. In order to be authorized by OGI, ask your employer at NJIT to fill out the J-1 On-Campus Employment Form and submit it to us.

International students should apply for Institutional work-study (IWS).

Keep in mind:

  • You must maintain your J-1 status.
  • You can work up to 20 hours a week while classes are in session (spring and fall semesters). You may work more than 20 hours over scheduled breaks (winter or summer breaks).
  • You can only work within your program start and end date.
  • Employment with organizations that operate within the university, such as the dining service, are counted as “on-campus.”

How to apply:

  • Log in via mynjit and use your NJIT UCID.
  • Click on the Student Services Tab; under Other Resources
  • Click on On-Campus Employment.
  • Create an on-line application if you don’t already have one.
  • From here, you may Search Postings; check on Application Status; Manage Applications; Change Password or Logout.

Once hired, you must have your employment paperwork processed and receive clearance to work from Student Financial Aid Services (SFAS) before you can begin working. Don't forget to submit the J-1 On-campus Employment Form to OGI before starting your job. 

You will need to obtain a Social Security card in order to complete your employment application and finalize your employment. SFAS will issue a letter for you confirming your employment. Bring it to OGI so your adviser can sign it before you go to the Social Security Administration to apply for your number.