Transfer Out

If you have been accepted to a new school in the U.S. you might be eligible to have your SEVIS record transferred. Having your SEVIS record transferred allows you to:

  • Keep the same SEVIS ID number.
  • Not pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again.
  • Remain in the U.S. while you wait for your new program to start.

To be eligible you must maintain your immigration status at NJIT until the day you are transferred. Your new program must begin within 5 months of your last enrollment at NJIT or last day on your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) if on Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Be aware that transferring of your SEVIS record to another institution effectively ends any employment you may have assiciated with NJIT, including on campus employment and OPT or CPT. Students may not continue to work at NJIT or with NJIT approved CPT or OPT after their SEVIS record has been released to another institution.

When to apply:

  • After completing an NJIT program or period of Post Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT):  Request your transfer before the end of your grace period (60 days after completion of program).
  • Between semesters: Request your transfer before the start of the following semester at NJIT.
  • Mid semester: You must remain enrolled at NJIT until the day your SEVIS record is transferred.
  • During OPT: You can request a transfer at any point during your OPT and before the end of your grace period. Your employment authorization will end the day your SEVIS record is transferred. Classes must begin within 5 months of the day your SEVIS record was transferred or the last day on your EAD, whichever is sooner.  You will lose any remaining days of OPT work authorization.

How to apply:

  1. Schedule an appointment with an advisor (optional). 
  2. Submit a copy of your letter of acceptance to the new school, and submit the NJIT transfer out form to the Office of Global Initiatives.

Processing time is 7 business days. Please keep this in mind when requesting your Transfer Release Date.


On Campus work authorization: You can continue to work on campus until the day your SEVIS record is transferred.

Traveling: If you are traveling outside the U.S. and plan to reenter after your SEVIS record is transferred, you must reenter with the new I-20 from your new school.


For more information, check out Study in the States’ Instructions for Transferring to Another School as an F-1 student and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s information on Transfers for F-1 students.