Applying for a SSN

In the U.S. Social Security numbers (SSN) are used for tax purposes and to collect pay. You only need one if you have a job on campus or if you have been authorized to work off campus.

An SSN is considered sensitive personal information. You should only provide it to your employer, school, or credible financial institutions. Do not carry your SSN card on you; keep it in a safe place at home.

Who is eligible?

F-1 or J-1 students who have an on campus job at NJIT or have been authorized to work off campus by NJIT or DHS.

When to apply?

Wait at least 10 days after you have entered the U.S. for the first time and at least 48 hours after your SEVIS record is registered for the first time.

On-campus employment, Academic Training or Curricular Practical Training: Do not apply any sooner than 30 days prior to your employment start date.

Optional Practical Training: Do not apply any sooner than the authorization start date on your EAD.

Where to apply?

The Social Security Administration processes SSN’s. Find the center closest to you through the Social Security Office Locator.

How to apply?

  • Complete an application for a Social Security card.
  • Bring your original I-20 or DS-2019, passport, I-94, and Employment Authorization Document (EAD) if you have one, to the Social Security Administration office.  
  • If you have an on campus job, you will also have to bring the employer letter from Student Financial Aid Services (SFAS), signed by Office of Global Initiatives (OGI).


International Students and Social Security Numbers.