Prescribed Study

A prescribed study student is a non-degree seeking student, who is pursuing a degree in their home country and wishes to come to NJIT for a short period of time to undertake research. The research conducted at NJIT will be supervised under a specific professor/department and related to their degree back home. They obtain a J-1 visa but are not pursuing a degree or enrolled in courses at NJIT.
  • You are a degree candidate in your home country and plan to leave the U.S. upon completion of your term at NJIT.
  • You must be in good academic standing at your institution.
  • You must carry health insurance that meets the standards set by the U.S. Department of State while at NJIT.
  • You must provide a letter from your home institution (in official letterhead) describing your academic program, confirming that an NJIT professor will supervise your work and how this work relates to your academic field.
  • You must have enough funding to cover your expenses for the term you will be at NJIT.
How to apply:
The hosting department is responsible for collecting all documents from the student and submitting them to OGI at least 3 months prior to the intended arrival date. The department must provide OGI with an official letter regarding the nature of the involvement with the student's project, and the start and end date of the activity. 


Visa Type:

All applicants who are accepted as prescribed study students at NJIT will be issued documents allowing them to apply for a J-1 exchange visitor’s visa as a non-degree student. Acceptance by and issuance of documents from NJIT does not guarantee that the application will be approved for a visa.

Students wishing to be affiliated with NJIT for the purposes of conducting research with a professor may NOT come to NJIT with a tourist visa or through the visa waiver program.