Bringing Your Family

J-2 Dependents

If your spouse or child(ren) will be coming to the U.S. with you during your studies, they may qualify for a J-2 visa. They will need their own DS-2019 and dependent visa in their passport.

To apply for a dependent DS-2019 submit the following documents to the Office of Global Initiatives (OGI):

  1. DS-2019 request form
  2. A translated copy of your marriage certificate and/or birth certificate
  3. A copy of your dependent(s) passport biographical page
  4. Financial documentation to show enough funding to cover your own expenses for a year plus your dependent(s). (Spouse $5,000, each child $3,750)

Processing time is 7 business days. If your dependent is outside of the U.S., check the U.S. consulate or embassy website for J-2 visa application requirements.  If your dependent is in the U.S. under a different visa status and would like to apply for a change of status with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please schedule an appointment with your OGI advisor for more information.

  • J-2 dependents can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS in order to be employed in the United States so long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.
  • J-2 dependents may enroll full time or part time. There is no regulatory restriction on study for J-2 dependents. 
  • J-2 dependents must carry health insurance at all times that meets the requirements set by Department of State.