J-1 students may engage in 2 types of employment:

1. On-campus employment (assistantship, fellowship, or hourly wages).

2. Academic training. 


J-2 dependents may seek employment with certain limitations. 

All types of employment must be authorized in advance. Engaging in any unauthorized off-campus employment is a violation of your J-1 status and can be cause for termination.