J-2 Dependent Employment

J-2 Employment Authorization

J-2 dependents can seek employment. To work, they will need to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS. Processing time is 3 months. They must receive the EAD before they can start working. They do not need a job offer in order to apply.

Money earned by the J-2 cannot be used to support the principal J-1 student.

How to apply:

The J-2 dependent must submit a complete application to USCIS:

  1. I-765. Item 16 should say (c ) (5) ( )
  2. Copy of J-1 and J-2 DS-2019’s.
  3. Written statement with any supporting evidence showing that J-2 employment is not necessary to support the J-2 but is for other purposes, such as interest in a certain topic or that the income from the J-2 employment can be used for family recreational activities.
  4. Copy of financial documentation as proof that the J-2 employment will not be used to support the J-1. For example: copy of J-1 assistantship letter, bank statements, or scholarships.
  5. 2 U.S. Passport photos of the J-2 applicant.
  6. Check or money order for $380 made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  7. Copy of passport biographical page and visa stamp for the J-1 and J-2.
  8. Copy of I-94 for the J-1 and J-2.
  9. Proof of marriage with certified translation if not in English.
  10. Copy of previous EAD cards, if any.

Make a copy of the entire application for your records and mail to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox:

For overnight/courier deliveries (non-USPS):

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) First-Class and Priority Mail Express deliveries:

P.O. Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266