Replacement EAD

How to Request a Replacement EAD

A replacement EAD can be issued when the previously issued EAD has been lost, stolen, mutilated, or contains erroneous information, such as a misspelled name.

If your EAD card was lost or stolen you will have to send the following documents to USCIS to request a replacement:

  1. A letter to USCIS explaining how your card was lost or stolen. If you filed a police report because it was stolen you should attach a copy.
  2. Personal check or money order for $410 made payable to the Department of Homeland Security. Make sure it has your name and address. Under “memo” write your I-94 number and your receipt number.
  3. 2 recent U.S. style passport photos.
  4. I-765. Check the “Replacement (of lost employment authorization document)” box.
    1. For item 11, indicate what service center approved your OPT.
    2. Do not provide OGI's address on the I-765. We are no longer receiving EAD's in our office. You must use your personal U.S. address. 
    3. For item 16, use the code corresponding to your OPT:

i.(c ) (3) (b) Post completion OPT

ii.(c ) (3) (c) STEM extension

  1. Copies of the I-20 issued for your OPT application and any I-20’s issued with OPT employment updates.
  2. Copy of your EAD. OGI should have a copy of your card on file as long as you submitted it when you first received it or if it was delivered to us (this is no longer an option).
  3. I-94 print out:
  4. Copy of the biographical page of your passport and visa page.

Processing time is 90 days. If you would like to ask USCIS to expedite your request, please refer to their expedite criteria.

Mail your replacement application to the Lockbox that has jurisdiction over the state you live in.

If the card issued to you contains incorrect information that is not attributed to USCIS error, a new Form I-765 and filing fee are required as well as all the documents listed above. The Form I-765 must be accompanied by the card containing the error.

If the card issued to you contains incorrect information due to an error made by USCIS, the appropriate correction will be made. In these cases, a new Form I-765 and filing fee are not required. Instead, you must submit the original card along with a detailed explanation of the card error and supporting documentation on the correct information to the Service Center that approved your last employment authorization request.

On April 17, 2017, the Potomac Service Center (PSC) will begin handling corrections to Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) that were issued by the PSC that may have incorrect information due to USCIS error. Previously customers were instructed to send EAD’s issued by the PSC to the Nebraska Service Center to be corrected.

How to Request an EAD Correction
If your Form I-765 was approved by the PSC and your EAD contains incorrect information due to USCIS error, you must return the original card along with a detailed explanation of the error and supporting documentation to the PSC at:

Potomac Service Center
U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
2200 Potomac Center Drive, Stop 2425
Arlington, VA 20598-2425

In these cases, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 and filing fee. The PSC will issue a corrected EAD within 30 days of receiving your EAD that contains incorrect information due to USCIS error.

If you return your PSC-approved EAD card and the PSC determines that your card contains incorrect information that is not due to USCIS error, the PSC will return the EAD card to you. In this case, you will have to follow the process detailed in the Replacement EAD section of the Employment Authorization Document page on order to have your card corrected.

If you do not find the information you need through our online services and need further assistance, you may contact our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TDD for the hearing impaired)."