International Graduate Students

NJIT's Office of International Students and Faculty supports the international community at NJIT.

Your status in the U.S. is non-immigrant.  That non-immigrant status was given to you either upon entry into the U.S., or by applying to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for your current status.

Each status has its own set of regulations with which you need to become familiar so you can remain in status.

The most common non-immigrant status at NJIT are:

  • F-1 full-time student and the most common non-immigrant status at NJIT
  • we also have students in H-4, L-2, and R-2 non-immigrant categories
  • J-1 refers to both students (non-degree and degree) and professors and researchers
  • H-1B is a temporary worker category

» See more on the OISF website.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Many international graduate students undertake Optional Practical Training (OPT) through employment related to your field of study.  Read more about OPT.