Guidelines for In-Processing and Orientation
The purpose of this guideline is to establish a procedure for the in-processing and orientation of new employees at NJIT. Getting a new employee off to good start can make a big difference in their feeling welcomed and in their effectiveness on the job. An effective in-processing and orientation integrates new employees into NJIT and assists with retention, motivation, job satisfaction, and quickly enabling the new employees to become contributing members of the NJIT community.
Human Resources offers at regular intervals a new employee orientation program. The program provides an introduction to NJIT’s history, organizational structure, initiatives, academic programs and enrollment, and student-service focus. It also addresses key personnel policies, and safety/security on campus. Department heads and supervisors are expected to make it possible for staff to attend.
- All part-time and full-time regular employees (union or non-aligned) are expected to be properly in-processed and oriented.
- New employees are responsible for reporting to HR on their first day of employment with proper identification.
- Supervisors are responsible for ensuring new employees report to human resources on their first day of employment to complete NJIT and federally mandated information in order to facilitate payroll processing. Supervisors should begin their employees at the beginning of a pay period to ensure proper in-processing.
- Human Resources is responsible for establishing and administering the procedures for in-processing and orientation.
Prior to Employee’s First Day
Click on the link below to find out what supervisors can do prior to their new employee beginning work. Pre-Arrival Checklist
First Day / First Week
On a new employee’s first day, the supervisor should send the employee over to the Department of Human Resources, located in Room 500 of Fenster Hall, to complete their new hire paperwork. A benefits packet is given to new employees who are eligible for benefits. A meeting with a benefits representative will be scheduled to take place during their first week of employment. A yellow card will be given to the new hire, who brings this card to Public Safety and Security where an NJIT ID card will be issued. Public Safety will also supply them information about parking on campus. Click on the link below to find out what supervisors can do to help make the orientation process as smooth as possible for their new employee. First Day/First Week Checklist
The new employee will receive a packet with the following forms to be reviewed and/or completed:
- Address Form
- I-9 Form
- W-4 Form
- Computer Access Form
- Emergency Notification Form
- Pre-Employment Central File Notice Form
- Conflict of Interest Form
- Direct Deposit Form (optional)*
- Self Identification Form
* - The Direct Deposit Forms are available at the Department of Human Resources and the Payroll Office.
All new employees will be invited to attend a new employee orientation workshop within their first three months of employment. Supervisors can use the attached checklist as a guide for the first three to six months. Three / Six Month Checklist