WHAT: Photo opportunities at NJIT’s Science Olympiad:
- Balloon Launch Glider: Teams design, construct and test a glider expected to remain aloft for a maximum period of time.
- Food Science Jeopardy: Teams quantify, characterize and see chemical reactions occur before their eyes as they come to better understand what they eat and why.
- Mystery Architecture: Teams design and construct a specific structure on-site.
- Build a Tower: Teams design, build and test lightest tower capable of carrying a maximum load.
- Rocket Launch: Teams design, construct, calibrate and operate a device capable of launching a projectile into target using energy provided by nonmetallic solids.
- Elevated Bridge: Teams design and build the lightest bridge capable of supporting a given load.
- Winning Team: To be named at 3 p.m. in NJIT’s Campus Center.
WHEN: Jan. 17, 2008, 9:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. All events will be available throughout the day featuring different student teams at each location.
WHERE: Locations throughout the NJIT campus.
HOW: Call for schedule featuring places and times throughout the day for each event.
WHY: The competition is one of three regional Olympiads held across the state. At each event, the top half of the teams with highest total scores will be eligible to compete in the upcoming state competition slated for March. The top teams from the March competition will then go on to compete in the National Science Olympiad. To learn more, visit http://www.njscienceolympiad.org/.