WHAT: The Summer Internship Program Award Ceremony will close a free NJIT summer program for 17 middle and high school students. The program offered a real-world education using parents, industry partners, college students, alumni and community leaders as mentors, advisors, staff and sponsors. Classes this summer included
• Development of next-generation surgical tools after watching robotic surgery at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center;
• Planning a state-wide conference to build the "hospital of the future"
• Starting entrepreneurial businesses
• Developing next generation cell phones
• Composing musical backgrounds using software technology
WHO: Student teams worked on creative projects to benefit sponsors such as St. Barnabas Healthcare System and Johnson & Johnson. Students were from Belleville; Bridgewater; Budd Lake; East Orange; Edison; Harrison; Holmdel; Howell; Landing; Lincroft; Little Silver; Lodi; Manalapan; Maplewood, Marlboro, Martinsville; Mine Hill, Montville, Mt. Arlington; Newark; Orange; Paramus; Princeton; Raritan, South Brunswick; West Milford.
WHEN: Aug. 7, 2008, 12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.
WHERE: 211 Warren Street, Conference Room 407