The National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) is a 501(C)(3) non-profit association that is owned and managed by its members. The organization is dedicated to the academic and professional success of African-American engineering students and professionals. NSBE offers its members leadership training, professional development, mentoring opportunities, career placement services and more! NSBE is comprised of more than 300 collegiate, 75 professional and 75 pre-college chapters nationwide and overseas.
NSBE is governed by an executive board of college students and engineering professionals and is operated by a professional staff in our World Headquarters located in Alexandria, VA.
NSBE with its unique characteristics, has accomplished more for Black engineering students than any other organization in the world. The same light that NSBE spreads to students and professionals in the United States is also relevant in African, European, South American, Asian, Caribbean, Canadian, Australian and Pacific Islander countries for people of color. It is the NSBE leadership's vision that the organization will replicate itself in countries around the world, creating a world network of Black engineers, scientists and technologists through its international operations.
Who is eligible for Collegiate Membership?
Collegiate membership is open to all engineering, math, physical, applied and computer science majors. All others are invited to become affiliate members. Graduate students have the option to join NSBE as either a collegiate or an Alumni (technical professional) member. If you choose not to be affiliated with a chapter on your campus, you will be considered a "Member At-Large," classified by your geographical region. Members "At-Large" receive the same benefits as those who belong to a chapter. To find the chapter nearest you, view the student chapter listing!
NSBE Membership Benefits
As a member of the National Society of Black Engineers, you are entitled to many benefits. With your NSBE membership, you will be able to receive discounts on consumer products and services through our numerous discount programs. You will be able to join other technical organizations at half the normal price of their dues. Keep an eye out for a list of these programs and organizations. While many membership benefits are enjoyed by all, some are specific to each membership demographic.
- Access to 20+ companies at regional conferences and over 300 at the National Convention career fair.
- Academic support is provided via tutoring and academic achievement programs.
- Free KAPLAN test preparation available at conferences.
- Leadership Development. As a member, you will receive exceptional training at regional conferences, the National Convention, and through your local chapter. You also have the opportunity to serve on a Regional and/or National Executive Board.
- Post your resume free of charge to top engineering companies with NSBE Online (NOL). On NOL you will have the opportunity to search for internships, co-ops, and full-time job opportunities.
- Apply for various scholarships and grants. Scholarships are awarded every year to deserving undergraduate students, many of which do not even require a GPA.
- Meet thousands of other students and technical professionals in your field of study.
- Compete in a vast number of programs that help prepare you for graduate school and your future career.
- Give back to the community through NSBE’s T.O.R.C.H. and mentor programs.
- Receive a subscription to NSBE Magazine. Each issue offers the latest industry news and articles tailored to individual areas of engineering.
- NSBE members receive discounts to the National Convention and Regional conferences – the largest student planned conferences in the world. Technical training and unparalleled networking opportunities are available at these conferences as you meet people from all over the world.