Lietenant Colonel Todd P. Broyles
Lieutenant Colonel Todd P. Broyles is the Commander of Air Force ROTC Detachment 490, New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), Newark, New Jersey. In addition to cadets from NJIT, The detachment includes cadets from twelve other colleges and universities in northern Jersey. The detachment's cadet corps is made up of approximately 70+ students. Lt Col Broyles leads a staff of two AFROTC Instructors, two non-commissioned officers, and an administrative assistant. He is responsible for recruiting cadets and evaluating their performance while enrolled in AFROTC. He also ensures cadets receive necessary academic and military training and leadership opportunities needed to prepare them to enter the Air Force as commissioned officers.
Lt Col Broyles entered the Air Force in 1994 through Officer Training School after receiving a Bachelor's degree from North Dakota State University and a Master's degree from the University of Wyoming. He has held a variety of space and missile operational and staff assignments at the wing, major command, and combatant command levels.
Lt Col Broyles began his career operating the MILSTAR communications satellite constellation, and conducting on-orbit and launch analysis and management for all communication satellites operated by the Air Force. Subsequently, he served as an intercontinental Ballistic Missile Combat Crew Commander and Flight Instructor.
After graduating from the Nuclear Technology Fellowship Program, Lt Col Broyles was assigned to Air Force Space Command as a staff officer. There, he developed requirements for nuclear and conventional force application programs, and led programming activities supporting the command's Program Objective Memorandum.
Lt Col Broyles then served as the Executive Officer to the Director of Programs, Resources and Analysis at North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command. After moving to the Analysis Division as an Operations Research Analyst, he provided analytic oversight to the commands' experimentation efforts, and analyzed the commands' missions, operations, plans, programs, and capabilities development. He assumed his current position in May 2011.
1. January 1995 – September 1996, MILSTAR Crew Commander, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, CO
2. October 1996 – April 1998, Orbital Analysis Officer, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, CO
3. May 1998 – December 1999, Launch Officer, Defense Satellite Communications System Phase III, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, CO
4. January 2000 – February 2002, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Combat Crew Commander/Deputy Commander, 740th Missile Squadron, Minot AFB, ND
5. February 2002 – September 2002, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Combat Crew Commander Flight Instructor, 740th Missile Squadron, Minot AFB, ND
6. September 2002 – June 2004, Nuclear Technology Fellowship Program, Sandia National Laboratory, Albuquerque, NM
7. Jun 2004 – June 2006, Command Lead, Future Technologies, Directorate of Requirements, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, CO
8. June 2006 – February 2007, Command Lead, Conventional Strike Missile and Rocket Systems Launch Program, Directorate of Requirements, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, CO
9. February 2007 – April 2008, Chief, Exercise Section, Directorate of Plans, Programs and Analyses, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, CO
10. April 2008 – September 2009, Executive Officer, Directorate of Programs, Resources and Analysis, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, CO
11. September 2009 – May 2011, Operations Research Analyst, Directorate of Programs, Resources and Analysis, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, CO
12. May 2011 – Present, Commander, Air Force ROTC Detachment 490, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ
Major Awards and Decorations
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Dates of Promotion
Second Lieutenant 27 January 1995
First Lieutenant 27 January 1997
Captain 27 January 1999
Lieutenant Colonel 1 April 2010
(Current as of May 2011)