Accommodations and Support Services

Photo of NJIT campus

Support services are provided on an individual basis and the types of services provided depend on the student’s documented needs.  The accommodations and support services may include:

  • Academic Advising
  • Adaptive Equipment
  • Alternative Format Materials
  • Assistive Listening Devices
  • Emotional Support Animals
  • Housing Accommodations
  • Note-Taking
  • Parking
  • Real Time Captioning
  • Sign Language Interpreters
  • Testing Accommodations 

To obtain these services, students must complete a number of steps which include:

  • Identify as a student with a disability – Once a student identifies as having a disability this initiates the process for receiving accommodations 
  • Gather  documentation of identified disability from a qualified professional ex; detailed letter from physician describing diagnosis and recommended accommodations on the practitioners office letterhead
  • Meet with the Associate Director of Disability Support Services to submit documentation
  • Complete required forms to request accommodations

Housing Accommodations 

Students that require a single room and/or a single bathroom in one of the residence halls must contact the Disability Support Services office to make a formal request.  There will be an additional cost for a single room.

NJIT's Office of Residence Life, with support from Disability Support Services provides reasonable accommodations for on campus university housing for students with documented disabilities.  Students needing the housing accommodations must indicate the need on their housing application or by contacting Disability Support Services at 973-596-5417 or via email The student that is requesting accommodations will be required to provide medical documentation from an appropriate medical, psychological or other professional health care practitioner.  

When the request is processed, the student will be notified of the status and if approved, will be notified of an appropriate housing assignment based upon vacancies available at that time.  Please note all requests for housing accommodations for the academic year must be submitted by July 1st.  If a student is in need of an over night single room/bathroom accommodation for New Student Orientation (NSO) please call Disability Support Services at 973-596-5417.

Emotional Support Animals 

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is prescribed or otherwise documented by a healthcare practitioner as part of treatment or recovery for an individual with a disability.  Students who desire to bring an ESA to live with them in one of the residence halls must contact Disability Support Services, schedule an appointment and provide required documentation from the healthcare practitioner and veterinarian.  All applications for ESA's to reside in the residence halls will be reviewed on a case by case basis by Disability Support Services in consultation with the Office of Residence Life. Please contact Disability Support Services for further information regarding ESA's.