What is TAB?
Technical Assistance to Brownfield (TAB) Communities is a program, funded by a grant from the USEPA, which is intended to serve as an independent resource to communities and nonprofits attempting to cleanup and reclaim brownfields. New Jersey Institute of Technology’s (NJIT) TAB program covers communities in EPA Regions 1 and 3.
Who Provides TAB Services?
The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), New Jersey's science and technology university, has been providing brownfield services to Northeast US communities for over 25 years. NJIT maintains a multi-disciplinary professional team of planners, engineers, and environmental scientists with academic research, government, industry, and consulting experience available to assist communities with their brownfield projects.NJIT’s multi-disciplinary TAB Team consists of planners, engineers, and environmental scientists with academic research, government, industry and consulting experience available to assist communities with their brownfield projects.
Who Can Receive TAB Assistance?
Free NJIT TAB services are provided to state, regional, county, tribal and local government entities, and nonprofits in EPA Regions 1 and 3 who are interested in learning about, identifying, assessing, cleaning up and/or redeveloping brownfields.
What Services Can TAB Provide?
NJIT’s TAB program provides assistance in every step of the brownfield redevelopment process from:
getting you started by
- explaining environmental laws, liabilities and regulatory program requirements,
- providing general guidance in pursuing EPA brownfield grants
- assisting in preparing requests for proposals and in consultant selections
- providing guidance in development of strategic planning and integrating approaches to expedite brownfields cleanup and redevelopment projects
to staying on track by
- providing guidance on how to manage brownfield grant projects
- deciphering regulatory requirements
- identifying site characterization methods and tools
- explaining the science and technology related to site assessment, remediation and site preparation activities
to getting the job done by
- advising on remediation methods
- assisting in the development of financing strategies
- helping to gain community acceptance and involvement with brownfield projects
How does NJIT provide TAB services?
- Direct Technical Mentoring through meetings, site visits, phone/email conversations
- Community Workshops/Visioning Sessions focused on specific brownfield sites, or redevelopment areas or corridors
- Workshops and seminars on specific brownfields topics
- This Website which contains step-by-step guidance, answers to questions, NJIT TAB activity downloads, and links to important resources
- Webinars on specific brownfield related topics
NJIT’s Core TAB Team includes:
- Colette Santasieri, Director
- Sean Vroom, Project Manager
- Elizabeth Limbrick, Project Manager
Call the NJIT TAB Hotline at 973-642-4165 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org