How To Apply for Financial Aid

Because we know that the costs of higher education must often be offset by some form of financial assistance—including a combination of scholarships, grants, loans, and student employment—we encourage you to apply for financial aid.

Undergraduate (U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents)
To apply for federal, state (New Jersey), and institutional (NJIT) financial aid, you must complete and submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year that you are enrolled and for which you want to be considered for funding. To be considered for scholarship funds other than NJIT scholarships for freshman, you must complete and submit a scholarship application, available online.

You can submit the FAFSA electronically using FAFSA on the Web. NJIT’s institutional code is 002621 and must be provided in the college choice section of the FAFSA, if you want to be considered for financial aid at NJIT. To file electronically, you will need a U.S. Federal Student Aid (FSAID). If you do not already have one, apply at: . The FSAID serves as your identifier to let you access your personal information in various USDE systems. After you have filed your FAFSA, you will be notified if you have been selected for a process called verification. Verification is a process required by the U.S. Department of Education whereby NJIT must compare the information reported on the FAFSA against the financial documents and verification worksheet. Should there be discrepancies, we are required to make corrections to ensure you get the appropriate aid. The Financial Aid Office may ask you for additional documents after you file your FAFSA. Check NJIT e-mail account often and make sure you submit any additional documents or clear any FAFSA rejects by May 15th.

To avoid submitting financial documents such as the Federal Tax Return Transcript, you can transfer your income information directly from the IRS to FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool; however, you must qualify to use this tool. The following link contains detailed instructions on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If the financial aid office requests the Federal Tax Return Transcript, it can be printed or ordered online at

Although you can file the FAFSA any time after October 1 before the upcoming academic year in which you plan to attend, you must file the FAFSA by March 15 of that year to ensure full consideration for federal, state, and institutional scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study. The 2016-17 FAFSA requires 2015 federal tax information but you may complete the FAFSA using estimated income from 2014. You can still use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you update the FAFSA after your/parents 2015 taxes have been filed. If you have questions about the FAFSA on the Web, you can speak with a customer service representative by dialing 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Assistance for students with hearing disabilities is available by dialing the TTY line: 1-800-730-8913.

So what's left? You might want to apply for a private loan or start checking out campus jobs. And don't forget to keep an eye on the deadlines for supporting documentation.

Graduate Students
As a matriculated graduate student you are automatically considered for graduate financial support as soon as you submit the Application for Admission to Graduate Study to the Office of University Admissions. Simply submit your application no later than January 15 for the fall semester and October 15 for the spring semester in order to be considered for the Master's Fellows Scholarship and other types of graduate financial support—including assistantships, full- or partial-tuition waivers, and stipends.

To be eligible for student loans, you must complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can file any time after January 1 before the forthcoming academic year; however, to ensure full consideration for federal, state, and institutional scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study, you must file the FAFSA by March 15 before the academic year in which you plan to attend. Be sure to include NJIT's institutional code, 002621, in the College Choice section of the FAFSA. Also, remember to file the FAFSA for each year in which you are enrolled and in which you want to be considered for funding. You can also apply for a private loan or student employment.

Graduate Certificate Graduate Certificate section should be "If you are a part-time student taking graduate courses through our Office of Graduate Studies, how you apply for aid depends on the particular type of aid. Read about your financial aid options to learn how to apply."

International Students
Although you aren't eligible for federal aid, there are plenty of other opportunities for financial assistance. Check out the scholarships for international students—and don't forget about campus employment. You'll need to wait until you get to campus to apply for any jobs, but it's never too soon to start checking things out.