Enrollment Status

Each financial aid program has specific requirements regarding enrollment status. In general, Student Financial Aid Services (SFAS) uses the following enrollment criteria:



Enrollment Status Classification

12+  Full time
9-11 Three-quarter time
6-9 Half-time
1–5 Less than half-time

Some academic programs use different enrollment status criteria; contact SFAS to learn more.

In general, financial aid packages are based on full-time enrollment. If your financial aid eligibility is based on three-quarter-time, half-time, or less than half-time enrollment, a notation will be made on your award notification. Tuition scholarship awards may be reduced in such cases, as may certain other financial aid awards related to the cost of attendance.

Your enrollment status on the 15th day of each semester determines your enrollment status for financial aid eligibility. During the summer session, your enrollment status on the second day of the summer term determines your enrollment status for financial aid.

It's important that you consult with SFAS if you plan to withdraw from any courses.

Cross-Registration/Enrollment at Other Institutions
If you're an NJIT student who cross-registers at Essex County College, Rutgers University–Newark, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, or Burlington County College, you must fill out the proper forms (available online and at the NJIT registrar's office). Otherwise, the courses will not reflect on your academic transcript and therefore will not be factors in your financial aid eligibility.

Please note that you cannot receive financial aid at both institutions for the same courses. You must declare which institution will be considered the home school for financial aid–eligibility purposes.

If you're approved to study abroad or to attend another institution to take part or all of your educational requirements during a semester, you may receive financial aid for that term if approved in advance and if a consortium and/or contractual agreement is executed between NJIT and the other institution. For more information, please contact Student Financial Aid Services.