Bringing Your Family

F-2 Dependents

If your spouse or child(ren) will be coming to the U.S. with you during your studies, they may qualify for an F-2 visa. They will need their own I-20 and dependent visa in their passport.

To apply for a dependent I-20 submit the following documents to the Office of Global Initiatives (OGI):

  1. I-20 request form
  2. A translated copy of your marriage certificate and/or birth certificate
  3. A copy of your dependent(s) passport biographical page
  4. Financial documentation to show enough funding to cover your own expenses for a year plus your dependent(s). (Spouse $5,000, each child $3,750)

Processing time is 7 business days. If your dependent is outside of the U.S., check the U.S. consulate or embassy website for F-2 visa application requirements.  If your dependent is in the U.S. under a different visa and would like to apply for a change of status with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please schedule an appointment with your OGI advisor for more information.

  • F-2 dependents may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.
  • An F-2 spouse and child may engage in study that is avocational or recreational in nature, part time or full time.
  • F-2 dependents may study at an undergraduate college or university or at a community college or junior college less than full time.
  • An F-2 child may enroll full time in any elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade).