Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation

Tuition and fees are paid directly to the school. Meals, taxes, and housing are not billable fees to the VA. The veteran will be required to pay those fees. Parking may be paid at the discretion of the Voc Rehab counselor.

Basic Eligibility Requirements

  • Must have a minimum disability rating and be found in need of rehabilitation by VA to qualify (service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs)
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services
  • Character of discharge that is other than “dishonorable”

How to apply

  • Apply through Form 28-1900
  • Apply at the VA Regional Office, 20 Washington Place, Newark, NJ
  • Or call 800-827-1000 or 973-297-3222


  • Student may be eligible for tuition and fees, books and supplies, and a monthly stipend
  • Expires 12 years from the latter of date of separation from active military service or from the date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating
  • An individual eligible for Chapter 33 who is receiving benefits under Chapter 31 may elect to receive the applicable Chapter 33 Monthly housing Allowance. Contact VR&E counselor

How to use the benefit at NJIT:

  1. Complete a Veteran Affairs Program Card
  2. Obtain Form 29-1905 from your Voc Rehab Counselor for each semester
  3. Submit all items to or drop them off at the Registrar’s Office in the Student Mall
  4. The Bursar’s office will be notified that the VA will be paying your tuition for the semester
  5. Deadline to submit documents is 2 weeks prior to the start of class

**VA Benefits are paid based upon your attendance. Dropping a course or unsatisfactory attendance in class (you stop going) could result in a debt to the VA for benefits paid to you.

**Any balance not paid by the VA is the responsibility of the student.

**Only degree pursuing courses will be certified to the VA. If it is not required, the VA will not consider the course, unless you have express written permission from your Voc Rehab counselor.