Information for Students
Are you undecided on a major or thinking of changing your major? Curricular advisement can assist you in learning about and considering many educational options at NJIT that can lead to your career goals. You will have the ability to meet individually with a curricular advisor and discuss your interests and obtain detailed information about available academic programs. You will have the guidance you need to feel confident in your chosen major and career path.
Please schedule an appointment with Curricular Advisor, Grace Lopez – 973-596-3337 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Curricular Advisement provides assistance with:
• Learning more about yourself
• Determining what majors are available to you at NJIT
• The decision-making process in choosing a major
• Outlining your academic and career goals
• Determining what major may be a good match for you and your career goals
• The process of changing/declaring your major officially at NJIT
Back to top
Getting to Know Yourself
Identify your interests, values, skills, and personality preferences. One of the most important steps in choosing a major and which most students omit, is learning more about yourself. With increased knowledge about your own likes/dislikes, behaviors and beliefs, you will be able to narrow your major/career choices to those that will suit you best.
• INTERESTS – are areas to which you are already drawn and have a desire to learn more about.
• VALUES – are internal motivators that you hold at a high regard and are important to you.
• SKILLS – are those areas you have a particular expertise in or excel.
• PERSONALITY PREFERENCES – are those innate and internal characteristics that make up your overall persona, and play a significant role in academic selection and career development.
Self-Assessments are creative and interesting tests that can assist you with clarifying your interests, values, skills, and personality preferences.
Please click on the assessments below to gain further insight on yourself.
Focus2 is an interactive online and self-guided career tool to help you explore different majors and career options. You will need an access code to register. The access code is NJITCDS.
Please follow the steps below in order to complete an official change of major or declaration of a major at NJIT.
1. Print out a “Change of Major” form from the Registrar’s Office webpage.
2. Complete the top portion of the form and mark your current major and your new major of choice. If you are undecided you will need to write that in yourself and indicate in what college you are undecided. Then place the reason you are changing and date and sign where indicated.
3. Meet with your current advisor and have him/her sign their section on the form.
4. Meet with the new department advisor and discuss what coursework you need to complete the new degree program and if they will allow you into the program. Then have them sign the change of major form.
5. Make a copy of the form that should now be signed by all parties involved and keep it for your records.
6. Bring the original form to the Registrar’s Office, located in the Student Mall, under the Parking Deck. It would be best to get the name of the person who took your form and record it for future reference.
7. Make sure to follow up that the change has been made by looking under the student transcript section of your MYNJIT account. Changes are usually made within two weeks. If no changes have been made please contact the Registrar’s Office and inquire as to when it may be processed.