Dependency Status

When you apply for financial aid, your answers to certain questions will determine whether you are required to include parental information on the FAFSA. If you are independent, you report only your income and assets (and your spouse, if you are married). You are an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:
  • You are age 24 or older.
  • You are married.
  • You are enrolled in a graduate or professional-educational program (beyond bachelor's degree).
  • You have legal dependents (for whom you supply more than 50 percent support) other than spouse.
  • You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18).
  • You are a veteran of the US Armed Forces. (This includes students who attended a US military academy and were released under a condition other than dishonorable.)

If you think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent even though none of the above criteria apply to you, contact Student Financial Aid Services. You will be required to document any circumstances leading to independent status.