Aid for Graduate Certificate Students

As a part-time student in one of our Graduate Certificate (GC) programs--whether on campus, at an extension site, or online--you are probably eligible for some sort of financial assistance. Whether you are a new or a continuing-adult student, sources of financial assistance include financial aid for aid-approved GC programs as well as scholarships.       

Aid-Approved GC Programs

  • Applied Statistical Methods
  • Biostatistics Essentials
  • Business & Information Systems Implementation
  • Construction Management
  • Data Mining
  • Finance for Managers
  • IT Administration
  • Management Essentials
  • Management of Technology
  • Network Security and Information Assurance
  • Pharmaceutical Management
  • Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
  • Pharmaceutical Technology
  • Power Systems Engineering
  • Project Management
  • Technical Communication Essentials
  • Transportation Studies
  • Web Systems Development

Private Loans
Because not all private lending institutions require that loan recipients be matriculated, you may be able to qualify for a private loan. (Be aware that loans from private lenders require credit approval and honor specific lender rules.)

Federal Education Loans
If you are registered for a minimum of 6 credits and are in any of the aid-approved Graduate Certificate programs, you may qualify for Federal Direct loans, Federal Perkins loans, or federal Work-Study awards. (Keep in mind that you still must meet the requirements of each individual aid program.)

Federal Tax Credits
In addition to being eligible for certain private loans, independent non-matriculated students (or parents of dependent non-matriculated students) may be eligible for the following federal tax credits:

  • American Opportunity Tax Credit - This tax credit expands and renames the existing Hope Credit and can be claimed for qualified tuition and related expenses that you pay for higher education in 2009 and 2010. Qualified expenses include tuition and related fees, books, and other required course materials. The full credit is generally available to eligible taxpayers who make less than $80,000 (or $160,000 for married couples filing a joint return); however, the credit is gradually reduced for taxpayers with incomes above these levels. (The American Opportunity Credit is not available on the 2008 returns taxpayers are filing during 2009.)
  • Lifetime Learning Credit - If you are an adult who wants to go back to school or a college junior/senior, or maybe someone looking to earn a graduate degree, you can apply for this tax credit. The credit is limited to 20% of the first $10,000 you spend on education, meaning that the highest credit that can be granted is $2,000. You do not have to pursue a degree in order to receive the credit; you must only be currently enrolled in a course. Unlike the HOPE Scholarship Tax Credit (above), which can be claimed per student, this credit can be claimed only per family; however, you can claim for an unlimited number of years; that is, you can keep going back to take classes and continue claiming until you have received a $2,000 credit. The same income limits on the HOPE Scholarship Tax Credit apply to the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.

Taken together, the tax credits are excellent ways to help pay for school. For in-depth information, check out IRS Publication 970 on the IRS website.

Veteran's and Military Benefits
If you are a service member, a veteran, or a military civilian trying to reach your educational goals, check out our available resources, including the Military Tuition Assistance program.

Scholarships for Adults
NJIT offers merit-based scholarships for undergraduate New Jersey residents and out-of-state students; however, there are many outside scholarship opportunities available for the adult learner:

and more!