Fire Permits

Fire Permits

Due to potential risk associated with various campus activities, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety, is responsible for inspecting event sites, and requires university departments hosting certain events to obtain Fire Permits for regulated activities; see examples below.

Fire permits are obtained through the NJIT Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) prior to the inspection by the Fire Marshall.  Please note the permit application should be submitted by EHS, on behalf of the hosting department, at least 14 business days before the start date of the event.  Also, there is a modest permit fee (approximately $40) that must be paid by departmental credit card at the time the permit application is submitted.

Please note that bonfires or use of grills are not permitted on NJIT Campus.

For more information please contact the NJIT Environmental Health and Safety Department at: or (973) 596-3059


Examples of campus activities that require Fire Permits:

Congregate Campus Activities Facility Maintenance Activities
Campus activities that require Fire Permits

Use of torch or flame producing device (e.g., glassblowing demonstration)

Use of torch or flame producing device (e.g., to remove paint, seal membrane roofs)

Tents (erection, operation, or maintenance)

Fire extinguisher training

Kiosks/displays for less than 90 days erected in a covered mall

Explosives and blasting

Open flame/device in connection with any public gathering

Use of open flame or flame producing device in connection with the training of non-fire service personnel

Use of a multi-purpose room for 100 people or more

Storage or handling of large quantities of class I flammable liquids (contact EHS for amounts and more information)

Carnival and circus mobile structure for human occupancy

Storage or handling of large amounts of class II or IIIA combustible liquids (contact EHS for amounts and more information)

Permanent cooking operation that requires a fire suppression system

Occasional use of any non-residential building for group overnight stays

Temporary use of a building, or any portion of it, for less than 15 days in a calendar year


Erection, operation, or maintenance of any outdoor combustible maze