Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I go?
You may study at schools in such countries as China, France, Egypt, Germany, India, Italy, Korea, Netherlands, Russia, Syria, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, Denmark, Mexico, Spain, Singapore, Japan and United Kingdom (depending on the program you select).


How long must I go for?
You may study abroad for as little as 3 weeks or as long as one year.


What courses can I take?
There are no restrictions on what you may study. You may take technical courses in your discipline or electives in the humanities.


If I go, can I still graduate on time?
Yes, with prior approval from your academic advisor, your program may be designed so that all courses completed on exchange are part of your curriculum at NJIT.


Do I need to know a foreign language?
It is not a requirement for all countries. In addition to Great Britain and Australia, courses are offered in English in Denmark, Hungary, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Sweden, and Turkey. (Refer to the Office of Global Initiatives for more details).


How much will it cost me?
The cost will vary based on the location or length of the program. There is no tuition charge if you decide to study abroad through a partner university (you pay your NJIT tuition and fees here). Housing, meals, insurance and other expenses will be additional and you are responsible for them. If you decide to study abroad through a provider most likely all costs (housing, meals, insurance, etc.) will be included in the total cost of the program. Each program will be different so you should check. Airfare is always extra, regardless of the type of program.


Can I use my financial aid?
It depends. Because you will be registered as an NJIT student, most financial aid, loans and scholarships are applicable if you study abroad with a partner university. If you select a study abroad provider your institutional and state aids will not be applied towards the cost of your program.


Where will I live when I get there?
Your choice will depend on the host country. Housing arrangements may be in a residence hall, off-campus or with a host family.


What students qualify for exchange study abroad programs?
Undergraduate students who have at least a 3.0 grade-point average may qualify for study abroad programs. Graduate students who have at least a 3.5 grade-point average may quality for study abroad programs.


I'm an undergraduate student. When can I go?
You can go after your freshman year.


Can I participate if I am a graduate student?
As a graduate student, you qualify if you have a minimum grade-point average of 3.5.

Back to the top