Front row, from left to right: Rajul Shah; Joel S. Bloom, president of NJIT; Sona Shah; and Adam Zipkin, Deputy Mayor, City of Newark. Back row, from left to right: Fadi P. Deek, Provost and Senior Executive Vice President of NJIT; and Basil Baltzis, Interim Dean of NJIT's Newark College of Engineering.
The Board of Trustees and the Administration of NJIT have honored three of the university’s most outstanding friends and supporters with the naming of facilities and departments in their memory.The Mechanical Engineering Building at Newark College of Engineering (NCE) has been renamed the J. Ray and Manuelita Michaud Mechanical Engineering Building. J. Ray Michaud was a 1940 graduate of NCE who earned a degree in mechanical engineering. He had a career in the U.S. Army Munitions Command and also in real estate. Michaud and his wife, Manuelita, were long-term friends and supporters of NJIT, crediting his NCE education as a critical factor in his successful career. The Michauds bequeathed gifts to the university that allowed the establishment of the J. Ray and Manuelita Michaud Endowed Scholarship at NJIT and the J. Ray and Manuelita Honors College Endowed Scholarship. These endowments provide merit scholarships to the students of Albert Dorman Honors College as well as support for undergraduates who demonstrate a financial need.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Newark College of Engineering has been renamed the John A. Reif, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. John A. Reif, Jr. was a Newark native and a graduate of East Side High School who earned a degree in civil engineering from Newark College of Engineering in 1952. He had a long and successful career at Schering-Plough Corporation in Kenilworth, NJ, first as senior project manager and later as a principal project engineer. He established a legacy at NJIT in the form of the Reif Family Endowed Scholarship in memory of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Reif, Charles W. Reif, and John A. Reif, Jr. The scholarship gift supports NCE students who are graduates of a Newark high school or a New Jersey inner-city high school who demonstrate financial need.
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Newark College of Engineering has been renamed the Helen and John C. Hartmann Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. John C. Hartmann, a 1951 graduate of Newark College of Engineering, was an electrical engineer for many years at RCA in Princeton, NJ. Hartmann and his wife, Helen, bequeathed an endowment to the university, allowing the establishment of the John C. Hartmann Endowed Scholarship. According to their wishes, the gift supports undergraduate students at NCE who demonstrate financial need.