First Year Students

We are pleased that you have chosen to continue your academic career with us.  We know that new transfer students, while familiar with college in general, need specific information to ensure a smooth transition. The information to the left provides you with valuable information to get started. In addition, you will also find information about frequently asked questions (FAQ's) below.

FAQ’s for Transfer Students


Who do I contact to find out my transfer admission status?

You need to contact Mr. Anthony Jackson in the Admission’s Office at (973) 596-5786 and/or email:

When and how do I register?

Once you have met with your advisor to discuss your course schedule for the current semester and he/she has removed your academic hold, you can register on-line via the Highlander Pipeline.  See complete registration instructions at:

Note: International students will not be able to register until after they have attended International Student Orientation For more information, visit the Office of International Students and Faculty at:

How can I find a faculty member, advisor or department staff member?

Your advisor name should appear on your acceptance letter.  However, you can search and find the information on the department and/or personnel for whom you are searching.

Where do I go to find out if all my credits transferred?

You need to contact the Office of the Registrar (973) 596-3239 and speak with Mr. Patrick Fields, Assistant Registrar/Transfer Evaluator or contact him at

When do I receive my bill and how do I pay it?

Your bill becomes available after you have registered for classes.  Invoices are available online 3-4 weeks prior to the beginning of each term.  Students are sent an email when the invoice is accessible via “Student Account” in Highlander Pipeline.  WE DO NOT MAIL BILLS.  The Bursar’s website has complete information about how to pay your bill, payment options, etc. If you have any questions, contact an account representative at (973) 596-2877 or click on:

How do I check the status of my financial aid?

To check the status of your financial aid application or review your awards go to:  If you have not submitted all your documentation for financial aid, please do so immediately to ensure that your financial aid disburses at the start of the semester.  If you have not yet applied for financial aid, go to: to file your application as soon as possible.

Is there an orientation for transfer students?

Yes, there is an orientation for transfer students called Transfer Connections.  For more information, please CLICK HERE.

How do I know if I need to take a placement test?

Transfer students who do not receive transfer credit for required first year courses in Humanities/English (HUM 101) and mathematics (Pre-Calculus or Calculus) are required to take placement tests. The results will be used to make course placement decisions. For more information contact: Center for First Year Students - Placement Testing at (973) 596-8389.

What if I fail my math placement test?

The placement test is not a pass/fail exam. Your scores help to determine the math and/or English course in which you will be placed for your first semester at NJIT.  If you believe that your initial placement test scores are not representative of your mathematical capabilities and level, you may request to take the placement exam a second time.

I commute, so is there parking available?

Parking is available.  To register to park your car on campus:

How can I look up the books I need for classes prior to the beginning of the school?

Once your schedule becomes available, you can go to the bookstore’s website and look up the books you will need for a specific course.  For details see:

What if I took Advanced Placement (AP) credit?

You need to contact College Board and request that all AP scores be sent to NJIT). In order to receive credit, NJIT requires that you score a four (4) or five (5) on the AP test. Please note that NJIT requirements may differ from that of your previous institution.  For more information contact the liaison at NJIT, Ms. Margo Gilchrist at (973) 596-2981 or see Advance Placement Credit Matrix at: 

As a commuter can I get a meal plan?

There are meal plan options that you can take advantage of as a commuter.  For more information contact Dave Arluna of Gourmet Dining Services ( or Residence Life (