Newark: the Renaissance City
NJIT is located in the heart of New Jersey's largest city. A major urban center, Newark is a city on the move. Some 30,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students attend classes in University Heights at the city's four public institutions of higher learning: NJIT, Rutgers-Newark, and University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and Essex County College.
Attractions in Newark's revitalized downtown include:
- The Newark Museum
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Newark Public Library
- Symphony Hall
- Branch Brook Park
- Art galleries, restaurants, and shopping
- An urban architectural laboratory
- Professional minor league baseball (Newark Bears)
Newark: New Jersey's college town
Adjacent to NJIT is the Newark campus of Rutgers University.
NJIT and Rutgers enjoy an exceptionally close and productive consortial relationship within the thriving University Heights section of Newark. NJIT and Rutgers students have library privileges at both campuses. NJIT students may also enrich their educational experience by enrolling in Rutgers-Newark courses and in full degree programs in disciplines not offered at NJIT— such as art, music, geology, and psychology.
Each year the two universities co-spondor a common season of theatrical productions, as well as ‘World Week,’ a joint program of honors colloquia, and a variety of other cultural and social activities.
New Jersey / New York Metropolitan Region
NJIT makes it easy to get out of the lab or library and get rid of some stress through excercise. Everyone—from beginners to scholarship athletes—can participate in varsity, club, or intramural sports like soccer, baseball, basketball, fencing, volleyball, judo, and even cricket.
- Minutes from New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Liberty Science Center, Meadowlands Sports Complex, Manhattan and all of its attractions, Newport Center Mall, and Secausus Outlet Center
- Discount tickets for Broadway shows, museums, concerts, and sporting events
- Weekend trips throughout the northeastern United States; skiing, boating, swimming, hiking, and more
- The spectacular Jersey shore is less than one hour away