Internship with an International Organization

If you have been selected for an internship with a recognized international organization, you can apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


  • Be in an F-1 status and currently enrolled in a degree program.  There is no waiting period.
  • The internship must be with a qualified international organization. If you are not sure, ask your advisor in the Office of Global Initiatives (OGI).
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester or full time during vacation periods.
  • You must maintain full time enrollment.

How to apply:

  • Request a new I-20 from your OGI advisor recommending the employment with an international organization.
  • You must have a written offer of employment from a qualifying international organization.

Application to USCIS:

  • Complete the Form I-765 to apply for an EAD from USCIS. Enter code (c) (3) (ii) in item 16. You must receive your EAD before you start working.
  • Submit the following to USCIS:
    • a copy of your new I-20
    • copy of your offer letter
    • copy of the biographical and visa pages of your passport
    • copy of any previously issued EAD’s
    • Form I-765
    • a copy of your I-94
    • a check or money order for the filing fee
    • 2 recent U.S. passport style photos